Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Living in Readiness

Mark 13:35-37 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming--in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning-- 36 lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. 37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!"


When being asked by His disciples about the timing of the last days, Jesus made three matters perfectly clear: 1- The Son of Man is coming again to judge the world, 2- No one knows the exact time of His return other than the Father, 3- All must watch and be ready for His imminent return. In the most basic terms Jesus was telling His followers not to be so concerned about laboring over the minor details of His return, but instead, simply live each day with the readiness and anticipation of that He may arrive today.

The problem with most of us is that either we do not honestly believe Jesus is coming again to judge the living and the dead, or we do not truly believe that His return is could be at anytime. Otherwise, we would live our lives in marked difference. These are the same issues of the unfaithful steward (Matt. 24) and the five foolish virgins (Matt. 25) of whom were each condemned for the lack of readiness. Jesus addresses this readiness issue time and again in direct teaching and in parables. 

This “living in readiness” would radically change most of our lives. Think for a moment; just how different would my daily plans, daily routines and daily actions be if I truly anticipated the return of Christ sometime today? Obviously, if I truly believed that Jesus was the Righteous Judge and would come at a time unexpected then I would be certain my life, my affairs and my house would be in order. As a host preparing for a special guest I would meticulously examine every room to ensure my guest would be pleased and to avoid embarrassment to myself. For some this task would be overwhelming and in anxiousness since no prior preparation had been made, and therefore much cleaning and rearranging would have to be done. For others, those who live daily in expectation of a special guest, the announcement of arrival would be met with joy since preparations had already been made and their house is already in order.

I must then ask myself, “Do I live in readiness?” And, “How must preparation would I require if I knew Jesus was coming today?” Let us not be caught unprepared and not ready. Oh, the joy of living daily in the anticipation and readiness of Christ’s return! Oh, the peace of knowing that when He knocks at the door my house is already in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment