Monday, April 23, 2012

Praising God for His Grace .................. in the Little Things

John 1:16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.

I mowed my lawn today. “Wow”, one may say  in a sarcastic tone;. or another question, “What’s the big deal?” Allow me to explain: it was  a big deal for me because I enjoy mowing my lawn. I enjoy the work, the quiet time, the joy of a job accomplished and a the blessing of a cared for lawn. Yet, the biggest reason it is a big deal to me is that over the past four months mowing my lawn has only been a thought and a desire to be longed for as I have been recuperating from a severe shoulder injury.  During this trial I have also vividly realized how big a deal it is to bathe myself, or to put on my socks by myself, or to be able to reach over and touch my wife at night.  

Until you are not able to do even the simple things you will never really understand how big of a deal they are and that each are a blessing of God.  Each blessing we enjoy, whether it big or small, is a provision of God’s grace.  My very salvation is by His grace as well as the ability to take another breath.  Our lives consist of God’s grace upon grace upon grace.  Sadly, we become so accustomed to the daily graces of God we fail to even consider them as such and therefore fail to give God the proper praise for the simple blessings of life.

David understood the reality of the blessing of God’s grace in even the little things as he proclaimed, “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth” (Psalm 34:1).  This proclamation was made at one of the darkest times of David’s life, but in these dark times he was able to see the beauty of life’s simple blessings and the reality of God’s unending grace.  In times of Paul’s greatest need Jesus reminded him, “My grace is sufficient for you”  and Paul would later say, “Therefore, I most gladly I would rather boast in my infirmities that the power of Christ would rest upon me” (2 Cor. 12:9).  Paul realized even his infirmities were measures of God’s grace, because through them he would experience the power of Christ.  Now, that’s heaven sent perspective.

We are taught of the generous blessings of being of child of God when John writes, “Of His fulness we have all received and grace upon grace” (John 1:16).  When we are saved we receive all of Christ and become the recipients of His unending grace.  Let us never fail to praise Him, even for the simple blessings of life.   Just a thought: if you can read this blog, then stop, and praise God for His grace.

I took a walk today.  Thank you Jesus for your grace.

1 comment: