Monday, July 18, 2011

The Beauty is Worth the Effort

Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

I had heard of the Grand Canyon, of its indescribable beauty and its overwhelming vastness, but I never desired to spend the necessary time to see this treasure for myself. I had heard the testimonies from others, believed in its reality, but had no desire to experience it for myself. 

Then on a family vacation in the western states my wife insisted we visit the Grand Canyon. Inwardly, I growled as this would take at least two days out of our schedule to see nothing more that a gigantic hole in the ground. My thoughts of displeasure only intensified as we drove through hours of desert to arrive at the stated destination.

Upon arrival my displeasure soon began to flee. As I walked to the edge of the canyon I became immediately overwhelmed with the beauty and the vastness of this treasure of God’s creation. The words and photos of others could not accurately describe the vivid colors, the immensity and the glory of this wonder of God’s handiwork. I was wrong, so very wrong! My regret now was that we did not schedule enough time to truly explore the many hidden wonders of this divine masterpiece. 

The taste of standing on the edge and gazing at the beauty before me only made me hungry for more. Thank God for my wife insisting this to be in our plans. The drive back through the desert did not seem as tedious as the images that would not be forgotten continued to flash into my mind.

I am afraid that many view Scripture in the same way I viewed the Grand Canyon: belief in the truth of its reality but not willing to take the time or the effort to experience it for myself. I had heard what others had to say and sadly was satisfied, and was never willing to do what was necessary to taste it for myself. How foolish to eat the crumbs of others when we can indulge in the feast itself.

No one will ever taste the depth, the beauty and the majesty of God’s Word until he makes the commitment and the sacrifice to do whatever it takes to stand at its edge and wonder at its glory. Then and only then will one not be satisfied with simply a taste but desire to explore for even more of God’s indescribable riches. No one else’s explanation will do. 

Thank God for those who have challenged me to explore for myself the vastness and beauty of God's majestic Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment